An active and healthy lifestyle can help you look and feel better. Today healthcare professionals focus on the importance of a person’s lifestyle in the treatment and management of many health problems. In other words, they practice lifestyle medicine. According to Frances Pitsilis, M.D., “Lifestyle medicine is about your behavior–your sleep, exercise, diet, how you think, whether you drink, whether you smoke. It’s a very valid, strong area that people are taking more notice of.”
What does it take to start down the path of lifestyle changes and what do the experts suggest? The good news is everyone agrees that small, steady steps lead to positive results. Use the following tips and tools to help you get started and achieve that healthy lifestyle that you have always wanted.
- Get enough rest and sleep. Generally seven to eight hours of sleep each night for adults is recommended.
- Stand up and move. Adults should strive for 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per week. Take brisk walks before work or on your lunch hour or walk to work if possible. At the office incorporate a standup desk or treadmill/bike workstation and increase your productivity and energy level.
- Balance work and home life. Don’t be married to your job. Enjoy your family and participate in a variety of physical activities that you can all do together.
- Focus on a healthy diet. A healthy diet is important to complement an active lifestyle. Stay hydrated by drinking lots of water and limit caffeinated beverages and alcohol.
- Don’t smoke.
- Think about the way you think. Positive thinking helps with stress management and can even improve your health. Practice overcoming negative self-talk.
- Stop and be still. Tai chi, yoga, or any type of meditative activity will give you time alone with yourself—everyone needs that.
- Participate in social activities. It is a lot easier to stick with a more active lifestyle if you make it part of social activities by doing things together like hiking, biking, and tennis.
- Create an exercise plan. Creating and following a plan is important especially in the initial stages of starting down the path of wellness. A plan can help you focus and stay on track. Online health and fitness management can set your goals, log your exercise activity and health metrics, and assess your progress… all from one central place.
A healthy, active lifestyle is a life-time commitment. Take the above steps right now to pave the way for tomorrow. Determine where you are today and move forward into the future.
Tiny URL for this post: